1. Never lie to them. They are smart as hell and need truth more than protection.
2. Tell them you love them every day.
3. Hug and kiss them frequently. If they never receive physical affection they won’t know how to give it or handle it.
4. Let them get hurt. Pain is an invaluable teacher. They will only touch a hot stove once.
5. Let them solve their own fights. When they run to you to solve the issue say “solve the problem” and stand back.
6. Teach them about money, cash flow, business and economics. School isn’t, this knowledge is 100% up to you.
7. Get them a dog.
8. Teach them to survive. Teach them to hunt, fish, build a shelter, start a fire, grow food, and find clean water.
9. Teach them manners. Please and thank you, yes sir, yes ma’am should never be encouraged but expected. If you have no manners, neither will they.
10. Give them all of you. Let them see you cry. Let them see you rage. Never hide your feelings or emotions from them.
11. Build a relationship with them. They deserve more than your clients, golf buddies or girlfriends. Ask them questions. Find out what they love, ask them what they fear. Actively be investing in a relationship with them.
12. Be in their world. If they like video games, play video games with them. If they like sports, play sports with them. Do things THEY want to do even if it’s not your cup of tea.
13. Date them at least monthly. Men take the boys out for guys night and your daughters out for daddy daughter dates. Be 100% present with them.
14. Discipline with intention. Discipline them but teach them the lesson after. Always hug and kiss them and tell them you love them after you discipline.
15. Let them be a kid. They are nerdy, stinky, emotional creatures. Don’t try and make them a smaller version of you, let them be a kid.